Energy efficiency is one of the most important features that today’s homebuyers are seeking. They want a home that is designed and built with eco-friendly materials, systems, and processes—not only because it’s better for the environment but also a cost savings and a plus for resale value.
Charles Simms Development has invested in doing the right thing—for our homeowners and the environment. As a certified RESNET Energy Smart Builder, we follow the most stringent industry standards for increasing the home’s energy performance.
RESNET established the Home Energy Rating System (HERS), which utilizes in-depth diagnostics to evaluate a home’s energy use. A third-party inspector evaluates each home, based on the size, shape, and type. The lower the HERS score, the higher the efficiency. RESNET considers a typical new home to have a 100 HERS rating, and a typical home built before 2006 is ranked as 130. This means the new home is 30% more efficient than a resale home. We strive for a score that is considerably lower than 100, giving our homebuyers value along with savings, comfort, air quality, and resale value.
Here are some of the steps we take to maximize energy efficiency in every Charles Simms Development home:
- Apply R-38 attic insulation (which exceeds the building code’s minimum of R-30) and R-15 wall insulation (above the requisite R-13).
- Use only ENERGY STAR appliances, energy-efficient water heater, furnace, and air conditioner.
- Install Simonton Windows, which meet the highest standards.
- Enhance indoor air quality with ventilation and filtration systems.
- Ventilate the attic to provide efficient air flow, reducing condensation and excessive heat build-up.
- Conserve water with more efficient sinks, shower heads, and low-flow/high-performance toilets.
- Insulate the home with whole house wrap to provide a weather-resistant barrier.
- Apply flashing that prevents moisture from seeping into your home.
We also use methods that enable us to conserve resources. For example, Charles Simms Development teams do stick framing on-site rather than opt for having it done in factories. This approach eliminates manufacturing and transportation emissions that take their toll on our environment.
When you choose to live in one of our communities in the Dayton, Ohio, area, you’ll experience the value of an eco-friendly home and the added bonus of a maintenance-free lifestyle. Browse our move-in ready townhomes and special incentives available right now. Contact us to take a closer look at what your home and your life could be.
Share this Post