Green Building Practices
resnet energy smart builder
Energy Efficiency Practices
Charles Simms Development is a RESNET Energy Smart Builder. Energy Smart Homes are up to 30% more energy-efficient than most existing homes. Our green building practices have four main objectives: Energy Efficiency, Indoor Environmental Quality, Water Conservation, and Resource Efficiency.
The Answers to your questions
FAQs About the HERS Index
certified (Hers) Home
- All homes will be rated and tested by a certified HERS Home Energy Rating System) rater to earn the lowest possible HERS rating. See the HERS brochure for more information on howhomes are rated and compare to existing homes.
- Blower Door Testing: All homes will undergo a blower door test to verify air tightness of the building enclosure. Airtight homes are important to save energy by minimizing heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer via drafts.
- R-38 Attic insulation - Building code is: R-30.
- Energy Star Appliances.
- Energy Saver Electric Water Heater w/2” non-CFC Foam Insulation.
- 13 SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficient Rating) Rated Air Conditioning.
- 96% AFUE Rated Efficient Furnace.
- Simonton Windows have some of the best insulation values made. Simonton Windows are NFRC, AAMA and Energy Star rated.
- R-15 Wall insulation - Building code is: R-13.
Proper ventilation and filtration
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Because our homes are built very airtight, we have also installed systems that properly ventilate and filter the air in our homes.
- Proper ventilation and filtration is installed to provide adequate fresh air, reduce indoor pollutants, reduce humidity levels, and reduce unhealthy air particulates.
- Bathroom Fans: Bath fans have been installed in all bathrooms to exhaust humidity and odors to the exterior.
- Furnace Filters - Easy access is provided for regular replacement by homeowners (every 30 to 60 days recommended).
- Carbon Monoxide Detection: One hard wired, battery back up CO detector is installed per home.
- Direct Vent Sealed Combustion Furnace.
- Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) Interior Paints.
- Attic Ventilation: Continuous Ridge Vent and/or box vents combined with soffit vents.
- Attics are ventilated in winter to reduce condensation potential. Attics are ventilated in summer to exhaust excessive heat from the attic.
water efficient performance
- Water efficient sink faucets/aerators that use less than 2.2 gpm.
- Water efficient shower heads that use less than 2.5 gpm.
- Low consumption/high performance toilets - 1.6 gpf.
recycled content material
- Stick Framing On-Site: Our framing is done on-site to eliminate panels built in factories.
- Stick framing allows for increased accuracy of dimensions for openings, as well as the latest framing techniques.
- Recycled content materials specified: LVL and PARALLAM headers for window and door openings are made with chips from paper byproducts. Carpet padding made with recycled content.
- Whole House Wrap weather resistant barrier protects subsiding from outside elements.
- Gutters, downspouts, and conductors to divert water away from the foundation.
- Proper grading techniques to divert water away from the foundation.
- Flashing details to prevent moisture from penetrating home.
- Plumbing supply lines inside the insulation envelope.
- Homeowner manual provided for the proper use and care.